Pages

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Optimizing Blog Speed

I have connected my blog with Google Analytics so that I can see things like average time spent, bounce rate, new v. returning visitor, etc. It is very helpful and interesting.

I just looked up how fast my page loads through Google Analytics. I was a bit surprised and embarrassed. It was around 7 seconds which is pretty slow especially since my users are probably only half interested/just wasting time on the internet. Who would actually wait 7 whole seconds for something they did not even care much about? No one, not in this fast-paced, impatient, give-me-entertainment-now-culture.

So I optimized it. I'm not sure how it all works, because I just followed a youtube demo. But it was excellent so here you go:How to optimize blog speed by eliminating render blocking

My site was so slow  because I have all these widgets that take forever to load. Now my site content will appear before the widgets are done loading. The loading time is down to 1.53 seconds!

At least I think that's how it works.

From watching this demo, computer coding looks a hella lot like DNA coding. On every blog spot, the html is nearly identical. There are just a few pieces of the code responsible for the different phenotypes. Ahh sorry, is my INTP showing?

Comment below. and let me know how long it took for your browser to load up my site! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment